Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A More Robust Concept of Responsibility

Aha!

Morality without rules!

Anti-regularian morality!

Gayatri Spivak, too, has helpful words for me!

I recently received a copy of her newest book, An Aesthetic Education in the Era of Globalization. I read the introduction. Quite dense.

I mean like Loling by myself in my room dense.

Like silly ass dense.

References abound.

Still, I am gleaning some crucial things from her.

One is the confirmation that the aesthetic education needs to be focused on cultivating the habit of ethical thought.

More importantly, however, is her suggestion that an aesthetic education should end in a more robust conception of responsibility.

She knows that one of the great problems of Modernity is that we have very few ways of conceptualizing responsibility without reference to rules or laws.

Still, she believes, there were forms of responsibility that used to exist in the past, and there are other forms of responsibility that we can create now.

In other words, it seems like Spivak, too, is working on a form of anti-regularian morality that finds its primary reference in aesthetics.

Blah blah blah.

Something like that.

Either way, I am finding some support in her work, despite of its extreme density.

Spivak insists that a more "robust notion of responsibility is the one practiced by most precapitalist high cultures of the planet," and that one of the only ways out of the modern "conflict between right and responsibility" is the cultivation of such a form of responsibility (Spivak, An Aesthetic Education, 341, 342).

Blah blah blah.

I don't know if I'll get any work done on my essay today.

But this essay on anti-regularian morality is sure as hell gaining some momentum in my mind.

When I finally get it on paper it will be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment