Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Friendship

One of my favorite friends is moving far away soon.

Huge shout out to J-dawg.

We hung out tonight.

Talked as we normally do.

Perhaps the only thing that was different was that I was feeling more reflective.

Reflective about our friendship and the city where we met one another.

I'm unsure about this city I'm living in.

I think I want to leave it.

I'm not sure why i want to leave. But that doesn't matter so much seeing as how I don't really know why I moved here.

I now know.

More than I did.

I know that I needed to push myself to become someone different.

I know that I was suffocating in my own past and that I needed a way out.

I needed to learn things about myself. And I have learned things.

One thing I really know now is how much I care about friendship.

Friendship is one thing that I have definitely succeeded at. I've found it wonderfully rewarding.

My mind is particularly sensitive to the idea of friendship because of my reading of MacIntyre. He talks about Aristotle's conception of friendship. For Aristotle friendship can only be about the mutual pursuit of goodness. True friends share a quest for a moral life.

I love to have friends like those.

I love goodness.

And I love those that love it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment