Sunday, May 20, 2012

Mind. Blown. Constantly.

Moonface's song 'Quickfire, I tried' has been blowing my mind for the last month or two.

The song is filled with lines that begin with 'Quickfire, I tried....'.

Endings such as '... to be romantic', or '... to be your solitude'.

If you've followed this blog at all (lol) you may have noticed that the reference to Quickfire has ended up in some of my poems.

The line that makes me the most emotional goes: 'Quickfire, I have tried to settle down, but I am lifted by the Sirens in my blood. And they are not done their song'.

The delivery is incredible. It is one of the final lines and it just kills me every time.

Oh I remember when I realized what the words were. I had heard the song many times and loved that particular moment, that particularly delivery.

Oh and what wonder the lyrics bring to the entire moment.

I love the moment so much more knowing what those lyrics are.

Because I can identify with that lyric so much.

I have tried to settle down. I'm still trying to calm myself down. But my thinking and living is always so exciting. Everything that happens to me is so remarkable and unique that I don't know what to do with it. I, too, am lifted by the Sirens in my blood. And they aren't done their song either.

I'm dumbfounded in both my working and thinking life.

My jobs are both amazing for different reasons.

One a family of sorts that has fun feeding people, often friendly, sometimes not.

Either way, it doesn't matter because everyone there is excited to be doing what they are doing.

My other job is also a family or community of sorts.

We are close.

We are dealing with similar stresses.

But it isn't the stress of a small, emotionally rich business.

It is the stress of feeling alienated from a large business.

It can be difficult to deal with high volumes of people that you've never seen before and will never see again.

Very little customer regularity can be difficult.

But me and my coworkers stick together.

Always having a good time with one another even if we aren't always having fun with customers.

Thinking is also feeling crazy right now.

I've been ever so slowly working my way through After Virtue.

What an important book it seems to be.

I feel like it is expressing so many things I've thought before.

The end of the book is near now. 40 pages or so.

It is a tough book so I won't rush it.

But man.

I don't know what to do about it.

Just looking at the table of contents I feel that it is so far reaching.

Truly an invaluable book for me to have read.

Plus I'm working on all my own thinking.

I think one thing really prodding at me now is the task of incorporating MacIntyre into my other thinking.

I'm working.

It'll happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment