Saturday, May 12, 2012

Means and Ends in Morality

After talking to a friend, I feel quite confident about what I wrote last night.

Not about aesthetic morality as character development. (I still believe that, but I don't think my writing last night demonstrated it).

But I do think that my writing demonstrated the importance of privileging means over ends.

Proper means will always lead to proper ends.

Proper ends will not always lead to proper means.

So simple.

Commit to means.

Do not commit to ends.

Commit to being polite, kind, empathic, and organic.

Your ends will take care of themselves.

Just adopt loving means and the rest will take care of itself.

That is why I refuse to behave inorganically. I refuse to approach this girl when you tell me to. I refuse to order that sandwich when you challenge me to.

I live my life organically.

I live my life lovingly.

I live my life in pain.

And I am confident that my commitment to those means will produce any end that I desire.

Oh.

The pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment