Thursday, May 24, 2012

Morality Without Rules

Morality without rules is basically what I'm working towards writing about.

Seems like a strange notion to me.

How does one conceive of morality without rules?

There must always be room for rule-like propositions.

I, for one, cannot help but abstract.

I am always inclined to make general propositions about things.

But I don't regard those propositions as 'rules'.

That is, I don't expect them so hold any predictive or prescriptive power.

I suspect that my moral character cannot be developed strictly according to rules.

I must rely on myself.

I ought to claim responsibility for my actions.

I should regard my actions as a creative expression of my being.

I want my actions to be authentic expressions of my character.

I don't want to act based on a strategy or a plan.

I don't want to act based on some rule or law.

I want to act based on what I know is right.

I want to be good without rules.

No comments:

Post a Comment