Monday, May 7, 2012

Michael Sandel

I saw Michael Sandel at Town Hall tonight.

Excellent lecture that was vaguely a group discussion.

He was very engaging.

One thing that greatly pleased me was repeated use of the word habit.

He often talked about developed the proper habits, about the role of government and markets in determining habits.

I took a few notes. I will be going over them soon and will maybe have something to say.

Either way, I should read one of his books.

Because he was smart. And I very much liked what he had to say.

Most interesting of all, the end of the conversation drifted closer and closer to the issue of the all volunteer force and the way that market institutions were corrupting notions of citizenship and democracy.

So relevant to my hopes for graduate work.

A wonderful lecture.

Absolutely invaluable.

I just love hearing smart people talk.

It helps me so much with my own thinking.

I need to get to Town Hall and UW lectures more.

No comments:

Post a Comment