Monday, April 30, 2012

On Studies, Or, A Disclaimer

While discussing the idea of producing a large painting, several people have proposed that I conduct a few 'studies'. That is, smaller drawings and paintings that would prepare me to tackle a larger one.

I remember when I saw the Picasso exhibit at the SAM (which was amazing) many of the pictures were said to be 'studies' of the human form or something of the like.

This idea of a smaller project being a 'study' is very interesting to me. I find it a very helpful way to think about creativity. A very practical exercise. You do a small, unambitious piece of drawing or writing, just with the idea of clarifying the process, gaining experience with it. These smaller 'studies' are always meant to contribute to a larger project.

I've never purposefully engaged in 'studies' of drawing or painting. That is all very new to me.

But when it comes to my writing I think I have engaged almost exclusively in these types of 'studies'. Every essay I have ever completed is my attempt to isolate a certain problem, to do work on a small issue, with the hope of moving towards a larger issue.

Everything I have ever written is a mere study.

I have never produced anything that I would proudly stand by as representative of my thinking.

When it comes to history and philosophy (and art for that matter), I can only study.

I cannot yet properly create.

At this point, I can only prepare myself to create the creations that I will ultimately create.

No comments:

Post a Comment