Monday, April 23, 2012

Please

Just gotta spit hot fire for a second here.

Don't have anything real to say.

No focused statement or definite idea I want to talk about.

Just kidding.

I need to talk about what I've been talking about.

Collingwood's attempt and failure to complete his treatise on the science of human affairs. It wasn't his fault. His body gave out.

But now it is my problem.

Today it was so obvious to me that I needed to become a historian. And that military history would be the best and most interesting way to do it. I think it is probably one of the most important and under examined fields. I think that it would be a more marketable phd than philosophy or some other type of history.

What can historical thinking really teaching me? Do I really know what historical thinking is?

I have an idea. I have a history degree. I read a lot about the philosophy of history. But I don't really read a ton of history these days. I'm reading Alasdair MacIntyre and he is writing historically. But it isn't history through and through. A sort of historical-philosophical narrative. I've read a lot of Foucault. But he is just pseudo-history philosophy madness. Great stuff, no doubt. But not necessarily proper history. I should read Collingwood's proper history books.

I digress.

I feel a plateau approaching.

A new clarity of thought that will allow me to produce some substantial writing. Something lengthy and exciting.

But I can't do it yet.

I continue to wait and read and live.

No comments:

Post a Comment