Wednesday, April 18, 2012

An Age of Civility

Yes yes I've decided to change the link to my blog.

Two years ago I was far more occupied with savagery. With the ways in which raw emotions needed to play a role in my life. The ways in which my thought could best interact with raw emotions.

But now I feel much more concerned with thought. I still believe that thought has to appeal to the emotions. Thought still has to ground itself in emotions. But what I really do, and what I really want to think about, is thinking. Not feeling.

Perhaps this is a way of committing to Collingwood more fully. For it is his concept of civility that I am pointing to with this new address. Collingwood believed that civilization was a very real process that communities go through, and that it needed to be defended at all costs. For someone to use dialectical thought to reduce the amount of force in relationships was the greatest thing a person could strive for. To be civil was to be good.

I want to be civil. I want to work out a philosophy of civility. A philosophy of history that is also a philosophy of civilization.

No comments:

Post a Comment