Friday, August 24, 2012

War and Love

I watched an interesting and troubling documentary last night: "The World Without Us."

The question of the documentary is: What would happen if the United States were to withdrawal all of its military troops from around the world? We have dozens of bases in dozens of countries. What if we gave them up?

What would that mean for international order?

The documentary drove home a startling claim: The current world order depends on the United States having troops abroad. From South Korea to Kuwait to Tawain, without U.S. troops there are all kinds of potential invasions and wars waiting to happen.

I am very troubled by the argument of the documentary. I watched it with someone who asked 'Why does the world have to be like this?'

I answer, 'This is a bad answer, but because the world is like this.'

It is true, the world is what it is.

But does it have to be that way? Can it change?

I want to know what the appropriate place for non-violence and political love in the modern world.

How can we take what Gandhi said, take what MLK said, and somehow repeat it for the present day?

I don't know.

I'm scared.

But one thing I know is that I am committed to love and the pursuit of peace.

What to do?

I'll be honest and tell you that the documentary reminded me of a song by Cassie featuring The-Dream.

The song: Keep on Lovin' Me.

The chorus:
"There's nothing wrong with you

There's nothing wrong with me
There's something wrong with the world
Just keep on loving me"
I don't know what else to do with this world other than try to keep loving.

No comments:

Post a Comment