Sunday, July 1, 2012

Coffee

I've incidentally become a skilled barista and I don't know what to do about it.

I love coffee.

I love to drink it. It tastes amazing.

It can taste like so many different things. Someone once said something to me about coffee containing more than 200 or 500  or 800possible flavor notes or something absurd like that. I believe it. But I always wonder. Are those notes really there? Or are they just metaphors or comparisons that help us understand what we are tasting? I'm not sure. But by asking that question I am asking nothing less than 'What is the relationship between language and reality?' Clearly a question far beyond my reach. Either way, I have loved getting to know different kinds of coffee, learning to understand nuances.

I still doubt my understanding of espresso. I really don't know how to taste or judge espresso. I think this is largely due to lack of exposure. I want to get doppios at all the different cafes in Seattle. Try all the different roasters. (Why wouldn't I walk in there with the biggest smile?). I should go to cuppings.

The stimulation coffee provides is also a huge boon. Caffeine feels good. It makes me feel alert, awake. Stimulated. I quite like it.

The thing I excel most at, without a doubt, is milk steaming, texturing, and pouring. I am an excellent latte artist. I really really really enjoy latte art. It gives me enormous pleasure.

Coffee gives me enormous pleasure.

I intend to keep drinking it for the rest of my life.

I do not know, however, how much of my life will be professionally devoted to coffee.

But god do I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment