Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Theory Of Choice

A lot of my recent posts have been revolving around this idea of a theory of choice. Choice seems like such a central concept. One that we assume is valid and real. But one we don't always define precisely. I want to be able to define choice in some meaningful way.


I was thinking about the American dream. The idea of entrepreneurship. The idea of pulling yourself up by your bootstraps. I think it is a crock.


I think choice needs to be conceptualized in very different ways.


I think that Badiou's notion of the atonal world has a part to play in it.


I think Zizek's notion of retroactive freedom has a lot to do with it.


I am too tired to really write about this.


But this is the issue I am finding myself drawn towards.


The issue of action.


The issue of choice.


Really, we can just do things.


Maybe I should spend more time just doing things and less time thinking about how to do them.


Because they are in some ways incompatible.


Not entirely. Habit is a great example of how thought and action can be intertwined and made compatible.


But god dammit I spend too much time thinking.


What bull shit.


I need to do more things. I need to walk more. Go more places.


Fuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment