Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Chris Hedges.

I'm super pumped because I'm going to go see Chris Hedges speak on Friday at Seattle's Town Hall.

I love Town Hall. They frequently have very smart people speaking and you can see them for only $5. Also, I used to work for the company that co-hosts events. This means that I can sometimes get my name put on a list, and I can get into the event for free.

Huzzah for networking!

Indeed, this is the way that I am able to get into the Hedges talk. It sold out! But I still get to go! And I get to bring a family member!

That's right! A PLUS ONE! WIMMIE WAM WOZZLE!

I was deeply effected by both of Hedges' books that I read, War is a Force That Gives Us Meaning, and Empire of Illusion.

Both excellent books.

Excellent not so much for their erudition (though he is clearly well read), but for the spirit that animates them. Hedges sets the pages ablaze. Such strength in his writing. Such fire in his voice.

I shouldn't make it sound too dramatic.

But I just want to communicate the force with which those books struck me. I am very grateful to have encountered them. His writing is both intellectually powerful and emotionally moving. I dig it.

I very much look forward to seeing him speak on the issue of poverty in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment